Monday, April 5, 2010

Blessed

When I think of being blessed, I think of all the good things that have been given to me. I think of good health, incredible husband, amazing family, joy-filled daughter and the list goes on and on. But reading in Matthew today, I get a whole different view of being blessed: (5:3-10)
"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" (I don't often feel blessed when I am down in the dumps)
"Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted" (Blessed by sadness?)
"Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth" (I often struggle with this, because I see great strength as a blessing, but in reality, meekness is a strength, although we associate it with being weak)
"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled"
"Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy"
"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God"
"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God"
"Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" (Persecution and blessing do not go hand in hand for me, but I do believe there is much truth to this...having an eternal perspective does not always come naturally for me.)

It goes on to talk about being the salt and light of the world, using Christ's light and not our own. I do desire to be His light to this world, and not just in my terms of being blessed but also how scriptures tell us we are blessed, which do not always line up with the world's thinking of being blessed. Thank you Lord for the many blessings in my life, which would include the good and the "building" blessings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home